There has been many websites which have made comments about writing for Hubpages. This has grown in to something of a sort of Hubpages scam. I have been writing online with my blogs for many years, but I also began making money on hubpages.
So I'll make my statements clear: While it is possible to make money, and I use the term possible, it is extremely hard to do. It is not a matter of SEO, but rather these days of getting a lot of traffic. I should make note of few things:
1) Hubpages now offers a program called Hubpages Ads Program. Some people have made some money with it and have gotten paid. I have had the program since Spring of 2011. Now, my AdSense which came from hubapges dropped. However, it had dropped right after Panda. With the hubpages ads program you'll really need to get into social networking.
2) To correct this, hubapges has put out sub-domains for their users. Some have found there is a few days of decreasing traffic, then an increase to "pre-panda levels." Others have found a decrease, then an increase, and then another small decrease in traffic.
3) They have more moderators, but they have made too many drastic changes. That should have been done a lot longer than when Panda came out. The problem is that it annoyed plenty of people. Getting paid by Google (they have a revenue sharing program in place) seemed to be more important.
4) Some noticed that when tehre was a sub-domain switch some of the links you had on your hubs were "dropped." I noticed this more on this hub, than any of the others. I believe that they downgraded internal links.
5) Some of the rules have changed, and some have not. For example your hubs are "no follow" if; your personal hub score falls below 75. It will also make individual hubs "no follow" if the scores fall below 40. This was changed a number of years ago when the individual hubs needed to have a score over 50 to be "dofollow." You will need to go to the frequently asked questions to find this information. Changes: no duplicate content, no pixilated picture or watermarked pictures, and they are harder on word count to amazon capsules (50:1)
Is hubapges a sort of scam? Again is it possible to make money, however bear in mind the rules have changed, and "experimenting" say writing two hubs and then leaving the site will result in more than a few unfortunate surprises. They can ban your account as spam, whereby you will lose that account, if the work seems spun then your hub will be pulled down.
I would make one piece advice: In this online world, keep the best hub where they are, but build you own online blogs, but also other online sites, such as Squidoo, or many others, that have not been "hit like hubapges.
Would I keep writing there? At this point, many people have left, many of them had hundreds of hubs and simply left, others, such as myself are expending to other online websites and building my own blog to increase the changes that I will make money.
If the changes do not produce something more positive soon, there will be a lot more people complaining about hubpages, in worst ways than I have here. You can and you should make money with Google AdSense, but at the moment I am waiting to see what hubpages will do.